Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Short Post 2/17/11

Short Post 2/17/11
I finished the reading for this class feeling very conflicted because I simply did not know what I believed was the right course of action for an intersex baby and their family. Much of the medical treatment sounded rather barbaric and did not always even produce the desired results. It certainly seems wrong for Doctors to lie to families about the procedures that they are performing on their children. Then there is another side of me that feels as if I were an intersex person I would want the surgery performed when I was a child. I feel as though that way I could live the most normal childhood and life that is possible, My real problem in comprehending the entire experience of an intersex person is that I am always have felt strongly that I am meant to be a girl. I do not know whether it was socially constructed or if I was born feeling that way, but it is hard for me to imagine not feeling at home within my gender. Before I could even possibly make any judgment calls I needed to gain insight into the experience. I found an article in the New York Times that really helped me understand, the link to this article is
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/magazine/24intersexkids.html
This article is about Cheryl Chase who received surgery as an 18 month old to make her a “normal” female. Chase without ever knowing that she had received surgery struggled with feelings of unhappiness her entire life. She ended up discovering her past and becomes a strong advocate for intersex individuals. What really spoke to me about this article was the standardized treatment plan that Chase was calling for in dealing with intersex babies. Chase believes that a gender should be assigned at birth based on an analysis of chromosomes, hormones, physiology and other factors, but that no surgical treatment should be performed. I strongly agree with this method of treatment because I think that in order to have any hope of a healthy childhood a kid should be assigned a “best guess” at a gender. That way the families and doctors can hope that this ends up being and if it is that individual can make an educated decision about whether they wish to have surgery when they are older. If the decision is wrong there will be difficulty in switching genders, but at least there will be no scarring or trauma caused by surgery. I know that it can seem insensitive that I believe a gender should be declared rather than attempting to raise the child with an ambiguous gender. My only defense to this position is that I feel like it is a realistic strategy given the world in which we live. I cannot imagine trying to raise a child and socialize them while remaining entirely gender neutral. It would be ideal to believe that one could protect a gender neutral image for a child and then let them develop their own, but I cannot see how that would function within our society.

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately when it comes to intersex children, I think the best answer is that there is no good answer, which medically speaking can be really frustrating. I'm not sure if I agree with Chase's argument of assigning a gender, but not performing surgery until later. I guess if I grew up that way, ie assigned the gender of female, but with both genetalia, I wouldn't know any different because I would think I was normal, but eventually I would find out and think I'm that much more different than everyone else. I think middle school and high school are the worst ages for young adults because kids are the most cruel to one another and quite frankly immature. I'm not sure if word got out that there was a student with both reproductive organs that there would be no negative backlash and emotional scarring for the child with the condition. I don't know, again, there is no right answer so mine is just a personal opinion. Needless to say, it will be interesting to follow the progress of the protocol revolving around intersex babies as technology progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since our system is so inherently based on two individual sexes, I think that the best way to promote equality for intersexed individuals is to let them decide what to do about their own mixed physical qualities once they reach a pubescent age (as opposed to immediately making a potentially dangerous decision immediately after childbirth). However, it is hard for me to completely relate to this issue/ comment on it, since I cannot imagine what it would be like to have to undergo such intense decision making or extreme surgery at age 13/14. Thus, I agree with Kendall in that the only way we can know for sure what protocol to follow when it comes to intersexed children is to follow the progress of individuals who have either had early surgery or who have not, and to document the emotional and psychological consequences in both cases. Perhaps with the combination of more research on this issue, and with the masses becoming more informed, our society can begin to make strides in the treatment of intersexed children.

    ReplyDelete