Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Short Post 4/27/11

These two chapters by Enloe really helped me to understand my own definition of feminism. At the beginning of the semester we were asked if we thought that we could be considered feminist. Even though I knew that by the definition of feminism I probably was one, the connotations that go along with it made me hesitant to claim my feminism. Throughout the course of the year we discussed how there is a debate whether the word feminism should change in order to leave behind its long history and establish something new. At the time I believed that it should be changed so that more people are willing to embrace the actual ideas without being intimidated by the implications. After spending the semester in this class I have switched to the opposing side of this argument. If the feminist movement is willing to give into pressure to change something as simple as its name because of outside pressure then aren’t we yet again giving into the cycle of oppression? My journey through grappling with this and changing sides of the argument reflects my general relationship with Women’s studies and feminism.
There are times when I get fed up and think we are arguing in circle over pointless things and there is no resolution (aka Enlightened Feminism by Douglas) then next thing I know I am learning about abortion rights and female genital mutilation. These topics are perhaps the social issues that have the most impact on my conscious and I want to devote my time to preventing them. In times of frustration I feel like we are wasting our time critiquing the media and designer vaginas, but then I begin to think that perhaps even the small battles matter. Sexism and oppression affect us all differently based on aspects like identity politics. Even if my struggles with oppression pale in comparison to those of others, if I stop fighting what would happen to them. Without daily questioning and challenging patriarchy it would not be impossible for our world to regress and lose all the hard work of women before us. Enloe inspired me in this thought process because I felt as though her chapters were about defining feminism for herself. She discusses the need for curiosity and questioning patriarchy rather than settling for the fact that it is normal. It is so easy to say well it is not affecting me that much because I am generally happy with my life. To take a step back and see how accepting this lot in life may affect others by perpetuating the cycle is eye opening. My favorite point that Enloe makes is how when a student brings up an analysis that dispute her thought that it is tempting to manipulate to in the end support her point. She says rather twist it around it is important to use that analysis to further question and shape the original idea. This shows the idea that feminism and its issue are perhaps so frustrating to be because there is usually not one right answer. It is a problem with such a long history and so ingrained in our society that it affects so many aspects. Rather than get frustrated and give up it is important to take the time to understand how every action has so many potential reactions. In order to stop the cycle the beginning stage to define feminism as what it means to you and then stand up for that belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment